A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole Ok, I was almost able to push myself to the 50% point and I just can’t go any further. I have too many other books to read to spend any more time on this one. I’m sorry…I know, it’s apparently a classic, but for the life of me, aside from the tragic circumstances around its publication, I can’t for the life of me see why.

Ignatius Reilly is an asshole, by design I know, but even the humour he supposedly spouts is little more than chuckle-inducing for me. I don’t even believe that Ignatius is much of a medievalist…aside from a misguided love for Boethius he really doesn’t seem to know very much about the Middle Ages except in a very superficial way (his writings which we are given glimpses of are the most puerile crap imaginable). Add to that the fact that all of the other characters are completely uninteresting to me and I cannot gather sufficient reason to continue with this. His mother and Patrolman Mancuso are feckless pushovers and all of the other ‘colourful’ characters just don’t do it for me. They might work as characters in a sitcom, but that’s about all I can credit them for. Maybe I just can’t appreciate the unique Nawlins’ style, I don’t know. (Is it just me or is no one in the book able to “say” anything, everyone appears to “scream” instead…a nit, but one that annoyed me every time I noticed it.)

I’ll just have to mark this one as abandoned. Maybe some other day I will be able to take this for what it was meant to be. That day is not today.