The Island of Dr. Moreau - H.G. Wells 2 - 2.5 stars. Not a bad book by any means, but perhaps the fact that I knew the basic story and ideas that would be presented caused it to have less impact for me. Wells was laying the ground work for what would become the basic ideas and concerns of the science fiction genre in his ouvre, but this does mean that coming to it "after the fact" can make the book seem predictable even though he's generally the first person to have done it.
We have the story of a shipwrecked man rescued from drowning only to be taken to a perhaps worse fate: a year on the strange island of Doctor Moreau where he comes face-to-face with the surgically altered horrors of the eponymous doctor. I was surprised to see that the society of beast men was more or less a creation of these creatures themselves and that Moreau had little interest in them after his experiemnts on them were complete as he was obsessed with moving forward in his search for the ultimate "plasticity of the flesh" and seemed to view each completed experiment as at least a partial failure on this road. The movies I have seen made it seem more like Moreau was purposely building a slave race to rule over, so the difference was interesting.
Overall though, while I readily concede that this book is a foundational classic in the genre, I just wasn't very captivated with the story overall.